Wednesday, January 11, 2006

First day(s) of school

No photo's from the first couple days (aside from Kiyoka and Noo on the last blog) so just little ol' me prattling about things........

It is a bit of a shock to the system to be at school BUT I think it's ok. I am surprised by the amount of reading I have to do - but if I keep on top of it it should be ok. Business Math is a bit scary. The whole class seemed really happy about what the lecturer was saying apart from a couple of us from Europe who it seems were both taught a different way of balancing equations but so long as we get the right answer its good.

The lecturers are interesting. There's Barbara (Business Math) who likes to talk about Hockey more than maths. George (Human Resource Management) who seems a bit deaf so can't hear any of the answers we give. Choon (Fundimentals of Business) who has been teaching in Canada for 25 years and still sounds like he's only just learnt english. Antonis (Essentials of Canadian Business) however is the scary one. He told us he reserves the right to kick us out if we miss any classes. He says even a doctors note is not acceptable - you need to prove a real reason not to turn up and even then you can only do it twice before your out. Scary. That just leaves Ronald (Business Law) but I haven't had a class with him yet.

On reflection, I think the first week is quite easy because you spend time talking about the course and doing introductions. Hard work begins next week I think.

It hasnt all been hard graft though, amongst all the confusion, I did have a bit of fun on Monday. I went window shopping in Ikea with one of my new friends - I need to buy a mattress and stuff for my new place so wanted to check out some stuff. We took turns trying out the beds and had a real laugh. Ikea here is weird because its EXACTLY the same as in England! Makes me feel right at home - which isn't surprising really as they have much of my furniture from home!

I'll just end here with best wishes to my dear friends Ed and Tina who will be getting married on 17th in Austria. I really wish I could be there but unfortunately Antonis would kick me out of his class!! Good luck guys, you are the sweetest couple I know. You will (continue to) be great together.

No comments: