Monday, July 10, 2006

Secret trails....

Armed with some sketchy directions, Bill, Ken and I set off to find "Aftertaste", one of the not-so-secret secret trails on Seymour. A bit like "Hidden Valley" back home - a lot of people know about it and ride it but for every one of those there's a dozen that cant find it!

Well, we found it and if I was allowed to, I'd recommend it! It was pretty gnarly but with very nice rocky bits and some quality woodwork.

This is Bill on a rough steep bit that looks flat in the photo!







but the real fun was saved for the end.... obviously you cannot get any idea of this from the photos (so why am I posting them I hear you ask, well...) but its better than just trying to describe it right?

So, basic layout: 15ft near vertical rock face, 2 bike lengths and then another 15ft rockface - although not quite as vert.

I guess if you're fond of 15ft hucks you could just fly off the second but personally I'm a little more conservative!










here's Bill checking out the line...

















over you go mate! Sweet - and on a hardtail too!

Then it was my turn, I rolled in, dropped like a stone to the flat(ish) middle bit and hit the brakes - unfortunately my front wheel skidded across the dusty rock and jammed into a root, sending me straight over the bars - fortunately I managed to stop myself before going headfirst over the second drop - Phew! Everyone breathe out!

It was fun though and I'll definately clean it next time, the Aftertaste was pretty sweet.......