Saturday, January 12, 2008

Whistler

Holidays are over and everything goes back to normal: Skiing in Whistler! ;-)

My sister is coming to visit next month and while she's in Whistler she'll be staying at one of the hotels just behind Skiers Plaza - Sis: you can just see the roof in this pic - 2nd one in from the right. Very convenient :-)


We were only here for the day - although if circumstances had their way we would have been there over night.

The snow was great - storms had been dumping snow on the alpine and also keeping it shut so it was just waiting for us to carve some tracks in



The other thing I should tell my sister, is that perhaps maybe it is a little cold at Whistler! I'm sure this year the temperature has dropped a few degrees - wrap up warm is the advice. Long Johns, no flesh exposed and carry some hand warmers.

In case you're wondering, it's Dr Meg in the yellow - just about to drop into "Christmas Trees" - a good 2ft of steep powder between lots of little - well Christmas Tree sized trees 8-)

This was the site of somewhat of an epiphany for me - I've struggled to get used to skiing the powder, its not something I'd done before coming to BC and even the first year here I skied alone most of the time so I'll really only done one season of powder. Finally today I think I got it!
I had several runs with no falls and when I went down Christmas Trees I got my first few face-shots!!! :-D

For my mum reading this, I'll just explain that a face-shot is when the powder snow is kicked up by the ski tips right over your head - it only happens in light, deep powder but its a right of passage. Live in Van: tick. Grouse Grind: tick. Ripper races: tick. Ski in deep powder: tick. Face shots: tick.

Because of the steller conditions there were a lot of people in town and lots of ice and snow on the road. Unfortunately sometimes that doesnt mix so well and today was one of those days. When we got back to the parking lot we saw cars backed up from the highway, thru the village, into the parking lot, and in some cases right into their parking space! Time for a bite to eat!!


Several hours later (and one huge piece of cake for Rich later) and we drove home with no problems.

Thanks to everyone for a great day and big J for driving :-)

No comments: