Thursday, February 21, 2008

4X !!

For those unfamilar with the term, this is Four-Cross racing. While usually done outside on a hill, a BMX track is also a great play for it. Each winter, Abbotsford BMX build a track in a cowshed and yes, they let us MountainBikers race on it through the worst of the winter. In fact, last night we even had the BMX World Champion join us - he won - Surprise!





Here's Amber leading Jen - both typical North Shore riders - FAST!











Rich and I made all six rounds this winter with the final last night

The jumps are designed for BMXs so some can be pretty hard to jump on a mountain bike but race by race my riding has improved to the point I finished 6th last night - my best result yet - although I still havent made it into the finals!






All mod-cons - air-ram gated start












Jen












Me leading Rich - which didnt happen much last night - he's now got his manual wheelies (ie a wheelie where you dont pedal but instead push down into the downslope with your legs through the back wheel - well not THROUGH the back wheel but you know what i mean - anyway Rich has his sorted now and he's really fast on the first straight so difficult for me to beat. We've only actually raced in the same round onc e this season and Rich beat me by winning the round - I got my own back in the quarter finals though and took second and in doing so knocked him out of the semis - sorry mate!

Anyway - its FUUUUUUUN and we'll be doing some more of this in the summer and definitely coming back next winter.

No comments: