Wednesday, October 01, 2008

How things change?

When I was unpacking in the new place I came across this photo of me from around 1995. How things have changed? I was a mere slip of a lad at 25 I spent the Summer weekends racing cross country with my friends all over the UK.

The original photo was enlarged on a colour copier and then dropped off at the shop. To this day I have no idea who took it.

Where do I start? Well how about fashion: A skinsuit - toight as a tiger! A bandana? No gloves and different colour shoes. Sweet! Then there's the bike: A GT Zaskar with Rock Shox Judy's with all of 2inches of travel! Flat bars, bar ends and look at that seat height! Yes, this was definately a cross country set-up! And look at that death grip! (no fingers on the brakes). Hardcore.

Finally, let me tell you about the "event": I'd just rolled across the finish line from a 90min cross country race. I think I was 26th of 153 people so not a bad result but my attention was quickly drawn to a demo that was going on nearby. The rider doing the demos was organising a long-jump competition. Basically a plank leaning on a log and jump past the next plank to stay in the comp. This would go on until all but one was eliminated. They'd already started but I still rolled over and joined in. About 20 minutes later it was down to me and one other guy - by this time I was taking a run up from the next county and the demo guy had gotta bunch of kids to lie down after the ramp! Can you imagine that happening these days? I don't think so. Anyway, to cut to the chase I won and rolled out a hero. I don't think I actually got anything for it but so many people were watching I had bragging rights for months after!
And then this picture turned up at the bike shop. It really captures the moment - completely wrong bike set up, kids lying on the floor and the kid in the back ground with his mouth wide open. I think this may stay my favourite bike photo for the rest of my life. The fashion is funny but it so captures that day in Reading. Good times. Gooood times.

Oh, and how far did I jump? 31 feet - from a take off no more than 18inches high - crazy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, that is awesome. Evil XCnevil. Roots.