Sunday, July 13, 2008

Squamish Club Ride

My club deal is a great one. In exchange for handsome pricing on bikes and parts all I have to do is show up and lead a bunch of rides. Occasionally I lead the slower groups and it can drag things out a bit but they always turn out to be good rides no matter the group or who turns up.

Today was the turn of Squamish to host the ride. I was paired up with Euan (by Euan as it happens - action shot of him left) for an intermediate/advanced ride.

I dont know Squamish that well but I was happy to take up the rear. Unfortunately Euan knew less than I so I tentatively took pole position.






We did a great trail to start although I rode straight past the entrance as it was too obvious! - I remember the entrance as being subtle and easy to miss so I was thrown a bit by the major junction as we rode past it. Ah well, no matter - it just made for a better warm up!









I'm not entireley sure why I took this shot but here it is anyway in its full fuzzy glory!

















One of the many nice features on this trail is this steep ladder-roll. It used to end with a gnarly off-camber route but this has now been chopped out so its all good!










Rider leaders everywhere!













This rock was quite trecherous - it was covered with gravel and fine dust so despite the appearance of grip there was none to be had. It was just an illusion. Ooo ooo, ah ahh. Illusion.















Yes, they have woodwork in Squampton. Have you seen Shandro's segment in Seasons? "Where is Squampton" I hear you ask. Its what (some of) the locals call Squamish. I think it's kinda cool.
















This one actually feels a little precarious as the fall to rider's left is no inconsiderable and onto rocks

















New bridge almost finished next to decommissioned bridge












My attempts at photography meet with much inconsistency. Here the water in the foreground looks cool but I chopped the rider's head off! Oops. If only for a wide angle lens.

After 3 wonderful laps we called it a day and headed to the pub only to find that most other people had already been and gone. We're pretty hardcore doing 3 laps - I think 1 was the order of the day. Ah well, we had fun :)

No comments: