Sunday, January 08, 2006

A nice day out

Hello Mum! Guess where I am today?
















(photo courtesy of obligatory Japanese tourist)
I'll give you a clue, it's cold.......















Yup. Whistler Blackcomb!















It was soooooo crowded.....















So yeah. Jumped in the truck, drove 90 minutes up the "Sea to Sky Highway" and there I was, at Whistler. It was a bit sureal. I've been there in the summer of course but to suddenly find myself in one of the worlds best ski resorts was a little odd. Not to be put off by that, I rented some skis etc and headed off up the mountain.
















The snow was slush on the lowest slopes but it was easily ski-able to the bottom. I stayed up top all day though, just stopping once for cake and chocolate at 6000ft. The only problem was the light - it was very flat so you couldn't see contours but the snow was luuuuuuuuuuvly so it was ok. When the light was good (most of the time) the skiing was amazing. I started off on the blues (red in Europe) but couldn't resist the blacks. The main ones were too heavily moguled (bumps for non skiers) to be fun but the other less skied ones were fantastic - trees and rocks sticking out to make it more fun but ooooooh what fun. Did I mention it was fun?
















So eventually it got dark and the lifts shut so I grabbed a huuuge burger, endulged in the Oakley shop and headed back home. The drive back was just over two hours of horrid, dark, pouring rain on windy (as in wine-dee, is that how you spell it?) mountain roads. Yuk.

But I survived. And next week, I'm going back!
Such a awful place this ;-)

....school tomorrow. Eeeeeeek!

1 comment:

Delbert said...

Looks horrible Skip.
I thought Whistler was full of bike parks? Just looks er....white to me.