Saturday, March 25, 2006

Snowboarding? tick!

Today was the college outing to Cypress Mountain for snow related shinanigans. 16 people went along from more or less 16 countries! I was a designated driver and had my friends Andy (behind the camera), Noo (white hat), and Helena (red hat) with me (fantastic new union jack hat (thank you Sara)). We also had Terry (no hat but very tall!) who I've only met once before.

Because there were only a couple of experienced skiers/boarders, I thought this was the ideal time to sample the dark side that is Snowboarding. We had a group lesson for 2 hours and by the end of it our abilities ranged from just about doing turns to just about standing up.

I buddied up with Helena as we were the two voted "most likely to make it up the chair lift without dieing" and we headed off for a couple hours of practice before our next lesson late afternoon. By the time we went to the lesson (to learn turns) I could just about do linked turns so it was a bit of a waste but I did pick up a couple useful tips.
















The lesson finished at 5.30 so the day was nearly over - the sun was dissapearing behind the mountain and the ground/snow was freezing and becoming even more painful to fall on.

But, I wanted more so, Andy (despite being alseep in the truck most of the day fighting off serious flu) came up to the top of the mountain with me to do a blue run - ok I admit it didnt go well but it was fun (aside from the pain!) Then we went up the other mountain and finished off with a nice gentle green back to the rental hut.
















8 hours of snowboarding (less lunch) later and I feel like I've been dragged into a back room and beaten senseless! I'm now VERY sore. I'm amazed I can still walk - I can't lift with my left arm and coughing seriously hurts my ribs - and as for sitting in the college chairs for 2 hours lectures next week - forget it mate!!
















Thanks to everyone for making it a truly great day. Especially Andy for organising it and turning up despite being seriously out of it and in pain.

Will I do it again? You'll just have to wait and see.....

Oh and if you want proof, email me and I'll send you the video of me snowboarding!

3 comments:

Delbert said...

Nice one Skipmeister.
Not as easy as the youngsters make it look eh?
He he....

Anonymous said...

good.... next year you can come and discover powder.... and why exactly we snowboard....

Anonymous said...

Above comment from Adrian...