Thursday, May 24, 2007

Its finally open for the summer!!

All summer people flock to it and all winter people talk about it. Spring is here, the weather has warmed up and it's time to get your season pass cos it opened on May 19th!!









You thought I was talking about Whistler Bike Park didnt you? Well you'd be WRONG - I'm talking about the other thing that opened on the 19th - Kits Pool ;-)

It's literally a 5 min walk from my door so it's a bit like the hotel pool - I bought a 3 month pass for 50 quid so now I'm all set.

On my first dip I quit after 8 lengths as I didnt want to wake up and regret it the next day - think you'd have done better? I have to admit it is a salt water pool so the floatation should be better but it is quite long as pools go. In fact, it's really rather long. In fact it's the longest pool in Canada at 137 metres!!!! (thats 445ft Pa) or 5.5 times your average pool - so I guess that means I did the equivilent of 44 lengths or over a kilometre :-) I feel better now.

It's quite a treat to swim in - imagine swimming 5.5 lengths before you bump into the wall - in fact its so long I find it hard to swim in a straight line - if I'm not above a black line I weave left and right so much you'd think I'd been at the Sherry! It's quite odd in the middle of the pool too - you can look in any direction and you cant see the sides!

I went for my second session today, and did a dozen lengths - 11 here is over a mile so I think I'll concentrate on doing it non stop from here on in.

Anyway, if you have the means, I highly recommend an enormously gigantic outdoor pool on a sunny day - followed by a walk on the beach - ahh, this is the life :-)

No comments: